Last Week's Oatmeal


I have a habit of finding a food and eating it over and over again, either until I deplete all the needed ingredients or until I tire of the taste.  I know, I know, variety (especially in one's diet) is the spice of life.  But sometimes budget and convenience come into play.  Last week's daily breakfast was a rather tasty rendition on the somewhat often bland oatmeal.  Growing up, I used to be satisfied with warm oatmeal topped with a splash of whole milk, brown sugar and cinnamon. It was delicious, but a little sugary and I definitely didn't need the cow's milk.   So today, my grown-up version (or last week's version) of this oatmeal is a little healthier and a little more interesting...I think.  I am quickly learning, as I make more bloggee friends, that you can do almost anything with oatmeal! And I look forward to experimenting more down the road. 


1) Cook your oats, 5 minutes in the pot (I use Quaker Oats)


2) Transfer to bowl, splash w/ some almond milk


3) Sprinkle desired amount of cinnamon, tiny dash of vanilla (abt a teaspoon or less), and pour on some agave nectar (abt a tablespoon or a bit more) 


**(Agave nectar has a low glycemic index so it won't spike your blood sugar and cinnamon helps to slow the absorption of sugar into the bloodstream).  


4) Sprinkle with dried fruit medley of your choice! I love Trader's Joe's Mixed Berries w/ strawberries, blueberries and cherries.  Also, get a little omega-3 by tossing in some chopped walnuts


Badda-Bing-Badda-Boom! 


What is your favorite way to prepare oatmeal?

3 comments:

Katie said...

I am the same way with food ruts - right now it is roasted vegetables with hummus for dinner. Going on 4 nights in a row.

I love savory oats, and just posted a photo of my most recent bowl (I also have eaten this for breakfast about 3 out of the last 7 days....hello, food rut).

http://makingfoodandotherstuff.wordpress.com/2009/12/08/more-snow-and-food/

Alyson said...

I have a few favorites! 1) Mix in pumpkin, top with Almond Butter, 2) Mix in Starbucks Via and Chocolate Protein Powder!

N.D. said...

And a bad idea to get into - add a scoop of almond butter. I was eating oatmeal, then bulgur every morning for MONTHS -with agave nectar and almond butter w/ cinnamon. Now I just can't do it!

About Me

Christine
New York City
Welcome! My name is Christine and I have landed here to share my love of healthy living and eating. I live in NYC where I am currently enrolled in the School of Integrative Nutrition. I am already certified as a holistic health coach and I have started seeing clients to help them reach their wellness goals. I started hot mama health to share the idea that it is fun to be healthy! Health is an adventure with endless foods to taste, exercises to explore, and challenges to meet! If you do not already feel this way, I hope that I can bring you into the light or at least stir a little inspiration here and there.
View my complete profile
Foodbuzz

Followers